I am being abused.  Where can I find help?

If this is an emergency, call 9-1-1.

If you are not in immediate danger, the Washington State Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) suggests that you contact your local law enforcement agency (police or county sheriff).  Following is contact information for these law enforcement resources and also for the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) END HARM department, and a national hotline.

For your local police or county sheriff:

  • USA Cops Web site:  http://www.usacops.com/wa/.

    This site provides a search by state and by county, and then further by police (local city police departments), or by county sheriff.

  • Or, look under the Government section of your local telephone directory.  The local police department will be located under the City section, and the sheriff's office will be listed under the County section.

For the Department of Social and Health Services:

  • DSHS End Harm Web site and telephone number:

    Web site:  http://www1.dshs.wa.gov/geninfo/endharm.html.

    Toll free number:  1-866-END HARM (1-866-363-4276).

  • If you live outside of Washington State, DSHS should be able to refer you to an appropriate resource in your state.

National Hotline:

The AOC provides administrative support to courts throughout Washington State and maintains the Washington State Courts Web site located at http://www.courts.wa.gov.  While the AOC is prohibited by law from providing legal advice, for references to legal resources please see Answer: How do I get help with legal advice or research?

See also:

  • See Answer: National victim resources.

RN id: 1568