How do I clear out an error message related to server problems in ACORDS?

  1. Close the error message.
  2. Attempt the same action in ACORDS that produced the error message.
  3. If the error message reappears, do not close the error message.
  4. Contact the Washington State Administrative Office of the Courts, Customer Services or call (800) 442-2169, Option 5.

RN id: 282