How do I get started using the Bank Reconciliation (BKR) screen when I have not balanced in years?
If your court has not yet moved its bank reconciliation process to JIS, use one of the bank reconciliation procedures described in the JIS Online Manual, BKR: Reconciling A Bank Statement topic.
- If your court has pre-JIS outstanding items that have not cleared the bank, use Procedure 1 for reconciling your bank account. The following conditions must exist before this procedure can work:
- The court’s bank account must be balanced to its last pre-JIS bank statement.
- The court must have a current list and dollar total of items not recorded in JIS including:
- Outstanding trust checks.
- Outstanding deposits.
- Outstanding bank items (bank charges and interest) if applicable.
- If your court no longer has any pre-JIS outstanding items and wants to start using the BKR screen without having to reconcile all intervening monthly statements, use Procedure 2 for reconciling your bank statements to JIS. The following conditions must exist before this procedure can work:
- You must begin with a month in which you have already balanced the bank account statement on paper as proof to the auditor of reconciliation.
- You must have a current list and total of items that have not cleared including Outstanding checks, Outstanding deposits, and Outstanding bank items (bank charges and interest) if applicable.
See the JIS Online Manual, Banking topic for complete information on JIS banking and check register functions.
RN id: 103